I'm pretty new to the fandom, but I've noticed the differing views about Candace. On one side, some think she's just plain mean and actually hates her brothers. Others feel she's actually good hearted, but just misunderstood. I am from the latter camp. Here is my reasoning:
- Underlying Candace's drive to bust her brothers is actually her desire for approval and appreciation from her mother.
- The only thing that distracts her from her busting crusade is Jeremy's attention.
- Read the lyrics from Queen of Mars. She had no desire to bust her brothers while receiving all that love and adoration from the aliens.
- Watch Mom's Birthday. It shows that underneath all the scheming, she is actually very sweet.
- Candace is very insecure (Unfair Science Fair, Attack of the 50 Foot Sister). Her desire to bust is gone when she does feel loved (such as her likeness being carved into Mount Rushmore or Mars).
To the folks that think Candace "hates" her brothers, here are some more examples.
- Phineas and Ferb Get Busted. When she saw what her brothers were going through at the reform school, she wasted no time rescuing them. Even though it was technically Perry's dream, the episode shows how well he knows Candace.
- In Gaming the System, she was devastated when she thought she had lost her brothers.
- In Traffic Cam Caper, she had all the proof of her brothers activities she needed to bust them on the CD-rom, but had no care of losing it in order to save Phineas' life.
- Some claim she participates in Phineas and Ferb's projects only if she benefits from them, but that's not entirely true. She used the time machine to go back and prevent "herself" from busting her brothers, after she realized that she messed up the future. In Come Home Perry, she sang in the concert they put on to bring Perry home.
So, that's my rant. Let me know what you think.